Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

India and Israel trip this Spring!


As I (Brandon) look at my passport I can only dream of the adventure that lies ahead. Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, and Calcutta are a few of the cities we will be traveling to. For years I have anticipated this moment. This Spring this dream is coming true! From May 7th through the 16th I will turn away the riches of America, embarking on a journey into the slums of India. This may sound bizarre but I’ve always wanted to immerse myself in a culture of widespread poverty and famine. Lately there has been an increasing measure of discontentment within my heart. I can't explain why I occasionally feel remarkably dissatisfied while living in one of the World’s wealthiest nations. We have access to an IPOD, ITOUCH, IPAD, or an IPHONE. But in a culture driven with “I” “I” “I” we may have acquired nothing more than being ISAD, IMAD, IBAD, and I-solated.

I’m reminded of the passage of scripture when Jesus gathered His disciples and said, “What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?” (Mark 8:36) Historically the United States of America, and to some extent, presently, is the wealthiest nation in the world. It’s been said statistically, “if an individual grosses $32,000 a year they are in the top 5% of the World’s most wealthy. If their gross income is above $54,000 a year they are within the top 1%. When taking this knowledge into consideration, being an American citizen, I can’t help but hold myself accountable. I may not be living in the top 1-5% bracket but I know among the human race I’m in the top 10% richest in the world. As I travel to India I anticipate areas of my own selfishness to be confronted with the world’s poorest. My prayer has now become, “Search me O’God and know my heart, try me and know my ways, see if there be any wicked way in me.” (Psalm 139)

While our feet trek across the land of India I’m excited to minister to the poor, broken and hungry. However, to be honest and transparent, my true desire is to become more broken while I’m there. A broken and contrite spirit my heart desires. I don’t want to walk through life numb and desensitized to the needs of men. I don’t ever want to eat a meal unappreciative, nor take for granted a closet full of clothes and a house full of belongings. I’ll be the first to confess I have many possessions and could give more than I do. The Word says we will be held accountable to every idol word we speak. Do you think God will hold us accountable to every idol dollar spent?

I don’t say this to shame us, but I say this to FREE us! Because where our treasure is, there our heart will be also. I want to be free from the cares of non-eternal possessions! I believe God is sending me to India because He is circumcising my heart. I’m holding back tears writing this because I’ve entered into the reality that the gospel will cost me everything. “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.” (Mark 8:34-35)

Would you partner with me in raising $3,400 to go to India? This may seem like a large amount but it’s so small to the Lord. Think of it in these terms: If 16 people simply invest $200 dollars then we will be at our goal. If 32 people generously sow $100 or even 64 people cheerfully give $50 dollars, our goal will be achieved. Or come along side us and partner monthly with Burn 24-7! Regardless of the amount there is no small offering in the eyes of our LORD. Together let’s give with a cheerful heart and together we will reap a harvest!  


Endless Love,  

Brandon and Crystal

If you want your gift to be tax-deductible you can make checks payable to: Elim Fellowship with Brandon Jackel/India in the memo. Please mail to Elim Fellowship, 1703 Dalton Rd., Lima, NY 14485 Thank You! Or give right Elim ONLINE: make sure you put under directions/other contributions who its going to. ;-) Donating through Elim allows us to be tax-exempt. Otherwise you can also give here.


P.S. As the Lord leads, I (Brandon) will also be going to Israel directly after India for about a week. The price was really good going from India to Israel, so my plan is to sync up with Living Bread Ministries while in Israel and serve along side them during the week of Pentecost. 

Join the movement: www.citytocityrevival.com; www.burn24-7.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts