Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Curried Lentils and Vegetable Stew


I didn't know what to make for dinner last night and so I decided to throw something together with little things we had lying around. Well, the dish came out delicious so I thought I'd share. I've been anemic now the last three years of my life, mostly because I've been pregnant and/or nursing for that long and nutrients get sucked dry when my body is burning extra energy. So, if I want to stay away from taking an additional iron supplement, I have to purposely eat foods high in iron. But as a lot of you know, I'm not a huge meat eater and I won't buy it unless its grass fed, free grazing, without antibiotics or hormones. Well, lentils is a great option for a an alternative source of protein and iron:-)

Here's a list of my ingredients:
6 cups of water
5 organic potatoes (cube them)
1.5 cups of organic green lentils (you can use any)
3 organic carrots (chopped)
1 large cooking onion
2 tablespoons of curry (yum)
1 tsp. of garlic powder
tablespoon of chopped garlic (yes...I used both)
salt to taste
2 tsp. of ginger powder
(add more ginger is you are nauseated from pregnancy...it helps everything settle nicely)

I sauteed the onions, carrots and chopped garlic separately over canola oil (could also use olive oil on low heat) on medium heat (I added a little salt and curry powder to it as well).

Everything else I threw in the crock pot to simmer all day. Once the other ingredients are cooked you can add them too. I had mine on for about 4 hours on high and then reduced the crock pot for one more hour on low. It tasted wonderful.....we topped it with parmesan cheese right before eating. You could also put over brown rice if you choose. And what's great is you can make it your own way by just substituting whatever you want by what you have in your house. (add a cup of water if stew becomes to thick.)

Lentils and brown rice have a very low glycemic index and the balance of the legume and grain provides a complete protein for vegetarians and flexitarians alike. Non-vegetarians should try this hearty dish as a meat replacement for dinner. The high fiber in the legumes and veggies are also excellent for digestive and heart health by aiding in lowering cholesterol. They are a source of folate, a necessary nutrient for pregnancy and women.

I was thinking....if not a main course...I may try serving this up next time with some lamb...

Hope you enjoy! We should did ;^D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts