Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Being a disciple

And He called the twelve together, and gave them power and authority over all the demons and to heal diseases. And He sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to perform healing. And He said to them, "Take nothing for your journey, neither a staff, nor a bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not even have two tunics apiece. Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that city. And as for those who do not receive you, as you go out from that city, shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them." Departing, they began going throughout the villages, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere. (Luke 9:1-6 NASB)

What if we did this? I'm being completely honest when I say I haven't seen one individual (in America anyways) who lives this way. I don't live this way. And I know there are reasonable and practical excuses why I can't live this way....like you have a family, there's cultural differences from then and now, or even others saying its the principal, theoretical application....is not literal. But I can't get passed the fact when Jesus spoke it to His disciples, He wasn't being theoretical, he was being literal. He asked this because He knew it would take faith for one to live like this. And it was the measure of their faith that would take the gospel to the world. And it was their measure of faith that they walked out healing the sick. I can't help that the fact they were walking this radical and people getting healed didn't have something to do with each other. There is something about living radically that builds your faith. There was no dependence on self in Luke 9..... In fact being a disciple meant the exact opposite. Being a disciple meant dependence on Him....and this trust was tried and proven when the disciples had nothing.....at that point, trusting God was the only thing they did have.

I'm not saying I'm gonna go do this now, leave my family with nothing and not provide for them. There is a season for everything, and part of being a mother to my children is selflessly providing for them. Some must trust in the provision, while others are the means of that provision. It's important to know what season your in. But I can't help but be challenged with the principles of Luke 9. Abandoning self for the gospel is the reality of the life of a true disciple. What does that look like for us? I think it's so counter-culture that our identity can't be in outer things, not even in the fact that we are American. It's certainly a challenging thing. This is why Paul said, "I die daily." He understood what the cost was to be a disciple of Jesus. He didn't die to himself because he wanted to fulfill Christian duty...he did it because he understood the message of the gospel. He understood Jesus wanted all of Him, just like He gave to us.

What is a disciple to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts